The Beginning of the Journey: From Arizona 400-410 State Birds
I had no idea what bird #400 was about to start. In fact, the first ten of the 400 were mostly just great Arizona birds that I would pick up several more times on my quest to 500. But these journeys speak of climate change, friendships that still continue or have ended over the years. There was so much unknown. In fact, 500 seemed unattainable and for the "elite" birders only, those who have been birding since the early 1900's. For a few years, it was easy to climb the ladder to 400. Even a little after 400, it seemed pretty easy. But several events changed the game between 400 and 410.
Accidental Orchard Oriole find. Photo courtesy of Bryan Holliday
There is something satisfying about a number like 400. It feels substantial. It was a milestone. At the time, I was proud of it, of course, but I don't remember standing there thinking, This is the beginning of the next chapter of my life. In 2016, the political world would be rocked and friendships/family would be challenged and forever changed. This happened in the birding world as well between "friends". And it still continues today. Alliances were forged based on experiences together. Some worked. Others were disasters. And through it all, there were birds. The one thing that united us all. And continues to unite us today.
There is something satisfying about a number like 400. It feels substantial. It was a milestone. At the time, I was proud of it, of course, but I don't remember standing there thinking, This is the beginning of the next chapter of my life. In 2016, the political world would be rocked and friendships/family would be challenged and forever changed. This happened in the birding world as well between "friends". And it still continues today. Alliances were forged based on experiences together. Some worked. Others were disasters. And through it all, there were birds. The one thing that united us all. And continues to unite us today.
My work in Central America hits my happy place with Spanish and birds combined
I went through a golden age of world birding. I felt like I could do anything. Then covid happened, a change in job and a divorce. My health spiraled out of control. And politics never went away. I know today who I am even more than I did back in 2016. I went from the magical 40's to the uncertain 50's.
their habitat. Today, the Berylline Hummingbird is a rare but regular breeding hummingbird
around Southeastern Arizona's sky islands. Rare but one birders todays often seek during our summers.
I was just there to see a hummingbird.
Years later I would find my own Berylline Hummingbird and enjoy the sighting alone. I never needed to chase the bird. I would have eventually stumbled on it.
And that's probably the funny thing about birding. We are always chasing the bird in front of us, rarely knowing what the chase itself is going to become.
What seemed easy at first was how new birds would show up every day for the list. All it required was a long drive and maybe a scope. An unsatisfying view of a rare Hudsonian Godwit got me AZ 401 but I wasn't happy with the views or pics. I had to wait nearly 10 years to see the bird better and get those amazing plumage details up close.Fast forward to 2026 and I finally get those views
The Berylline Hummingbird was followed the very next day by poor views of a rare Hudsonian Godwit. Then came an American Three-toed Woodpecker(expected at some point in my journey, it had become a nemesis bird for me for some time). So the gang got together for some fun up in Greer. Sometimes you need to rally the cavalry for a little moral support to find some great birds. The long road trips can be brutal alone!
After several trips to Greer in the White Mountains, the American Three-toed Woodpecker was a nemesis no more at 403. I had such a wonderful time with my friends. It was the last time all 4 of us were together. Today, it remains one of my favorite road trips.

At 404, the Common Tern was just a nice jaunt to a local park in Tucson. It was a beautiful cloudy day out and an easy add. Sometimes it's just nice to have an easy state bird close to home. I was relaxed and had seen this species in other states so a cell phone pic was all I needed.
Common Tern 404
Then came the frustrating long drive for the recently split, at the time, California Scrub-Jay with a bonus Orchard Oriole. This was a rare 2-for-one day but required patience and heat endurance. The Orchard Oriole was just an accidental add while we searched for the jay and stood awkwardly in a neighborhood. I had heard the rare California Scrub-Jay in this lady's backyard early in the morning so I knew it was there, but many of the group did not see it nor could they hear it. I do not like stakeouts like this anymore. My gift is excellent hearing and ear birding is my thing. That's why off season non-breeding grouse are difficult for me. They are silent! I saw the bird briefly and then it flew off never coming back to the area. I wanted to pull my hair out. The bird was seen a few days afterwards. This was on the border between Arizona and California in the agricultural town of Yuma. Not my favorite road trip. It required another trek back on my own time. That is dedication.
California Scrub-Jay 405 and accidental Orchard Oriole at 406
While they accepted this scrub-jay as "countable", we have not had another since 2016. I still have my doubts. Yes, it was a California Scrub-Jay but they don't move around that much. How did it get to Yuma?! Did it stowaway on a truck? This is probably the most questionable bird on my 500 list in my own mind but the experts said, "yes". The Orchard Oriole was a bonus. The California Scrub-Jay is a very rare bird to this day for Arizona.
Anxiety took over me while I was in Monterey, California doing a pelagic. A rare Siberian Sand-Plover was spotted in a dunescape outside of Flagstaff on reservation lands. This bird was a super rare find and I think it has only been seen once since 2016, but not by many people. My friend Kathie and I took a 3 day journey north into this really unknown area. To this day, I was very lucky to get back from my trip in time to see this bird because it took off the next day after being there for a week. Doesn't that seem like the case with local birders? We all share these stories. The minute we leave for a birding trek, an amazingly rare bird shows up in our town or state!
I thought to myself, "WHO lives here? How did this bird end up here in this stretch of desert with so little water?" It looked like we were on Mars. Our 3 day adventure took us to Prescott to visit our friend Cynthia and Gordon in Mesa as we headed back to Tucson. Ahh, to have that free time again like I had. Time is a gift. Today I barely get enough of it. And when I do, it flies. Siberian Sand-Plover was 407

The show stopper came in September 2016. There will never be another day quite like this one. A rare hurricane moved up Baja and the Sea of Cortez into southeastern Arizona.
The eye broke apart over Amado. I was trapped in my classroom all day. I told the kids to have everything packed and ready to go! When that bell rang, I flew out that door into the crazy storm along the interstate.
Birders unite for the event of a lifetime! Debra Finch(on the phone) you are missed. Debra passed away a few years ago. We'll meet Debra again on our 500 journey for a very special bird.
Birders of this time period had all gathered to witness the tragic spectacle of storm-petrels falling from the sky over the interstate and into this small body of water. It was horrifying and amazing at the same time. This hurricane formed off of the Galapagos islands and trapped so many sea birds in the eye. By the time it fell apart over southeastern Arizona, the birds were so tired that they ended up falling to their deaths. If they made it to the water, they were so weakened that they couldn't eat. Their bodies were collected and preserved for study.
Wedge-rumped storm-petrel
We all had to brush up on our storm-petrel ID's as I added a lifer Wedge-rumped storm petrel, 408 and Least storm petrel, 409

A week later a Black storm petrel showed up at the Bensen water treatment plant. 410
Numbers 400-410
Common Tern in Maine
On paper, that's all they are.
But ten years later, I know better.
They were the first 10 pieces of a much bigger story.
And that's what I want to explore in this series. Not simply which birds I saw, where I saw them, or how many miles I drove to find them. That's rather dry. Those things are part of the story, but they aren't the whole story.
As you can see, the birds start getting interesting. Rare Arizona regularities get replaced with shocking WTF moments. All these birds were seen in 2016. As we move up, things start to space out quite a bit. Until next time....











Comments
Post a Comment