The Bonds That Tie

Manitowoc, WI is a global birding hotspot
Happy New Year! I hope everyone's new year has begun with a bang. To kick off 2024, I went back home to visit the family in Wisconsin. 

                                                          Woodland Dunes from the river walk
I, of course, enjoyed some birding each day visiting my favorite spots around my hometown.  Over the years, I've shown you the lakeshore of Two Rivers and Manitowoc.  We've explored Woodland Dunes near my old stomping grounds. And on and on we went spending a little time in each of the places that are full of wonderful memories. 

                This mural was dedicated to Bernie Brouchoud, founding member of the Dunes

During the first couple days back home, I am always overwhelmed with the amount of talk that happens in my large family. However, this year it was better as everyone is getting older. I found myself at the Woodland Dunes the next day with my coffee enjoying the peace and quiet while watching the birds. 


It was really a nice visit with family and friends. Days fly by quickly and then I find myself back home. Every day had something going on so we planned our stay very well to get in some walking and nature time.  Otherwise, we'd be eating all the time!


As the first of January rolled around, so did birders looking to jump start their new year.  My friend Nancy gave me a heads up on several Snowy Owls seen at the harbor up in Oconto.  It would be a great way to start the year so Nancy and her hubby invited me for a fun car drive up to see these birds. 


                           the causeway near the Oconto Harbor, eager birders starting their year 
During the morning, we birded along the lakeshore and eventually onto the causeway where we saw lots of birders and very cool birds. It was cold and thankfully Nancy had an extra pair of gloves. 



Later that afternoon, my mother took us to Stangelville and treated us to some yummy meats and cheeses. 



I am winter.  I am the cold breeze that freezes wet hair. I wish all birds loved cold weather because I'd only bird in cold weather if I could. Perfection is coffee and a cold walk. Winter is my favorite time of the year. And winter along the lakeshore is absolutely stunning. We have so many cool winter birds that show up around docks and causeways like Snowy Owls, Harlequin Ducks, Long-tailed Ducks and White-winged Scoters. Just to name a few:)


                                                      Earl walks a cold trail out to the lake
I don't know if it's the same artist but around the US, there are these huge paintings of owls in small towns on old historic buildings.  These signs indicate that these special owls can be seen nearby.  The Snowy Owls are known to be regular winter visitors. 



And true to the sign, there was one beautiful Snowy Owl. 


This is the Great Gray Owl we found a few years back near this small town in Washington.  


Here is a similar painting in that town nearby.  The art looks slightly different so it might be two different artists. However, the idea is the same. 


While in Oconto, I was thrilled to observe a beautiful Snow Bunting. 


                                                                            Snow Bunting
In winter, Snow Buntings and Lapland Longspurs forage along our sandy shores and rocky areas like along the edges of a country road. I was beyond thrilled to observe this bird since I can count on one hand the times I've observed this species in my life. 


On our last day before heading back to AZ, I made a special effort to drive 45 minutes out to another hotspot, known as Killsnake Wildlife Area, for the resident wintering Short-eared Owls.  My Dad, who loves car rides but isn't necessarily a walker, was a perfect companion for checking out these very cool owls. 



Sunset happens early in Wisconsin during the winter months.  The owls come out one hour before sunset which means we had to be there by 3:30 PM.  By 4:45 PM the owls were done hunting. And at that point, it was too dark to see them with our human eyes.  What a show we had!  They are acrobats with wings! Often they can be confused with Northern Harriers in the area but their flat faces and lack of white rump give them away.  


Short-eared Owl
Another enjoyable bird I like to go back and see is the very beautiful American Black Duck.  Below is a female with her olive yellow bill. Usually, I like to go to Bay Beach Wildlife Sanctuary in Green Bay to observe these birds up close



Above is the hen and below is the drake. This species is in decline because of the Mallard.  Like certain species, Mallards love to hybridize with other ducks. And they really love to hybridize with Mottled, Hawaiian, Pacific Black, Mexican and any other duck that gets near them.  Finding a Mallard is easy.  Making sure that these other species are not hybrids is another story. In Tucson, the trickier to ID Mexican Duck often hybridizes with our Mallards. I spend quite a bit of time explaining what separates Mexican Ducks from Mallards. We also look at the numerous hybrids found around our watering holes and go over field marks.  It's actually not as boring as it sounds. 


It's a similar situation with American Black Ducks but slightly easier as their colors are a bit more distinct and that green from the Mallard stands out on a hybrid. And always watch for that curled tail. Anyhow, I enjoy the challenge.  And the subtle beauty of these ducks. 


                                                                           Wild Turkey
It was a lovely visit with family and nature. This year will be a new chapter for me in so many ways.  Change is good.  It's also stressful.  I knew that going into the year but I am looking forward to the wonderful challenges.  This year has me traveling to Gunnison, Colorado, Sal, Cape Verde and San Blas, Mexico. Along the way we'll stop at some personal favorite hotspots in Arizona as I continue my search for 10,000 birds.  Although now, with research, it's actually 11,000+ birds. I'll stick to my original 10,000 goal which is still so far far away. And I have a life to live....with birds. Until next time.....





 

Comments

Popular Posts