The Weekends Are a Constant Blur


Everything is so crazy during the day.  It's a wait and see.  Wait. Plan. Set plan into motion. Wait some more. These days are slow and full of methodical planning. I have to fight for my weekends to squeeze in some type of birding. In March, after Nebraska, I saw my freedoms coming to an end, filled with commitments. 



Between concerts, work and home projects, I squeeze in the birding. A few weeks ago, we went to see Savage Garden in LA.  On the way home, we made sure we stopped at the Los Angeles Arboretum. 



I just wanted to be surrounded by nature to keep my sanity.  We had some lunch in Arcadia and this peacock watched over our us while we ate. 


I'll also admit that it was nice NOT birding in Los Angeles. We just enjoyed our hotel and the downtown atmosphere. 



I have been exhausted from long days at work.  The other day I drove past Reid Park and got a little misty eyed.....that's my go to for birding after work. The issue?  I was too tired and it was too hot!


It's now May and I'm joining forces with Tucson Audubon to raise money. The Wrenegades are back! It's fun but it's an exhausting day full of birds and reports. We start at 2:30 AM!!!  So I'm relishing the fact that I can sleep in this Saturday!  I was supposed to go help out with the town of Marana for a video shoot on places to bird but thankfully, it was cancelled and rescheduled for later on. 

            California scrub-jay
While I am moving my furniture from one school to the next, I'm also waiting to see if I'll be teaching summer school which would fund another trip for this summer. 

The arboretum has made some wonderful improvements to their grounds.  The Red-whiskered Bulbuls were everywhere!

                                                                       Red-whiskered Bulbul
Meanwhile back in southeastern Tucson, migration is on the move.  My midtown forest is so exciting. I added two new yard birds to my list which included Virginia's Warbler and Hammond's Flycatcher.  

female Hooded Oriole
The orioles love this circular orange feeder.  I've had Hooded and Bullock's Orioles visiting off and on during the day. 


Summer Tanager
Surprisingly I haven't had a Summer Tanager come to our backyard yet.  I do expect both Summer and Hepatic at some point.  Western Tanagers come through every year to my feeders. 

Scott's Oriole
Another oriole, the Scott's Oriole, also shows up in my yard during migration. Again, I am grateful for backyard feeders. 


I'm also excited for the future stuff.  I've done a lot of prep and can't wait to reap the benefits of planning and being patient. Right now it's a wait and hold pattern. 


The new addition to our home is this huge TV that we won from the TMC raffle a few weeks ago. So we hide in the lighthouse room watching fun shows with our kitties staying cool.  









 

Comments

Popular Posts