Come What May





Should I? Or shouldn't I?  Every day, I'd get a report on an overwintering Cape May Warbler. In Yuma! He was hours away from Tucson.  And.  It's Yuma.


But meanwhile in my backyard, I'm getting cool birds like Bullock's Orioles, Cedar Waxwings, etc. I don't want to go. I rarely chase birds outside of the county anymore.  And yet there was one overwintering, almost guaranteed, beautiful Cape May Warbler in Yuma. It nags at me. My inside voice tells me to go.  It would be a lifer, a new Arizona bird and a nemesis no more! When a bird is a lifer, everything takes a backseat. If it's a state or county bird, it is somewhat negotiable depending on the frequency they are seen.  For example, a Northern Shrike, Chukar, or Black-capped Chickadee will be around each year and when I feel like it, I'll go after them at some point.  But a Cape May Warbler, and a lifer to boot, is not always a guarantee for birders in Arizona. So it becomes a priority and a required trek.



I have spent years searching for the Cape May and Bay-breasted Warblers in Wisconsin, Maine and other places. My reward is always the view of a Blackpoll Warbler, the last of the eastern US warblers to migrate.  Meaning....I missed my window with the Cape Mays and Bay-breasteds by a week!  



My stubborn German side took over and in an impulsive decision, I asked Gordon and Micheal to join me on that long ass drive to Yuma, but with the provisions that we'd stop and explore a new hotspot. But it was lifer first.  When we arrived to the eastern Yuma wetlands, we spied Tucson birders Carol and Mark on the warbler. 

Thank the birding gods.  He was still there feeding!  The Cape May Warbler is a rare eastern warbler to Arizona.  I don't have a lot of experience with them but I sure know what they look like!  This male was in beautiful breeding plumage surrounded by many Orange-crowned and Yellow-rumped Warblers. 

It was nice seeing the Tucson gang. They also had the same idea about driving together.  I cannot overstate how LONG that drive is!  You need company to keep from falling asleep.  I don't know why but every time I drive to Yuma, I feel alone.  It has a very remote feeling to it.  I cannot help but think, "What if my car breaks down and I don't have telephone service?" It's also hot and super muggy because of all the ag lands.  HOWEVER, the birding is really good.


When you're a new birder and given "the Book", it seems so easy.  Sure, there are so many birds out there, but the naive birder will see them all!   But what I, or many birders, never considered was that life can get in the way of that great big bird "Book". Somehow you have to craftily weave life and birds all together. For that hour, we celebrated by observing that rare bird and catching up with fellow birders. Sadly, we had to return home because we had to work the next day. 

                                          

And as we promised ourselves on our way back, we stopped at a new hotspot, "Spot Road Farm".



There we had exciting views of Burrowing Owls.  And so many of them.  What a treat!



Time eventually told us we had to leave.  It's amazing how quickly the day passes when you bird.  While I was exhausted from the early morning departure, I was glad that the Cape May Warbler was no longer a nemesis bird.  This makes the second lifer of the year for me.  



Over the next several weeks, I become a bird guide during one of the busiest seasons for Southeastern Arizona.....1st migration! 





 

Comments

  1. Good to find your new blog Chris and to see you are still enjoying your birding :) Well done on the lifer and love those burrowing owls. Thanks for the comment and it was lovely hearing from you again.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts