When The Rain Begins To Fall

                                 Brandt's Cormorant
Life moves around us all in various directions. On this weekend, I found myself visiting my extended family in San Diego.  At the time, California was getting hit by storm after storm.  The late storms would finally hit the coastline of San Diego and Los Angeles on the weekend I went to visit.  So it took careful planning to visit family and not get caught in the flooding along the coastline and desert. 


I found an inexpensive place to stay in Jolla Bay that allowed me close access to the beaches nearby.  Apparently I wasn't the only one who had the same idea.  Curious onlookers watched as one large wave after another battered the shoreline structures.  It was also a good study on marine life.  What do THEY do during weather events like this?


                                                                     Royal Terns
A rare Snowy Owl was an hour and some minutes away from where I was staying, but I had no desire to go.  I wanted to stay close to the beach and just enjoy the amazing weather.  So I chose quality birding over the chasing. Would I have liked to see the owl?  Sure.  But it wasn't worth the hours on the highway.  Plus I had some extended family nearby who I wanted to see.  


                                                              Brown Pelican
Even with the craziest waves I've ever seen along the shoreline, Brown Pelicans and cormorants hunted and skimmed the ginormous waves for food. It looked dangerous, but it was also mesmerizing watching them glide between the eerily light blue crests and foamy sea caps. It would have been perfect for surfers except that it was way too dangerous for them to be out there. And yet, the birds and sea lions managed just fine. 


                                                                       On land it was wet
I arrived early before the tourists flooded the parking areas.  On this early morning, I waited to see my niece and her family from Mexico.  They live in San Diego which is awesome. I am so happy they are nearby now. My Mexican brother, or how about just brother?, passed away last year on this day.  We needed to see each other. I was there when she was still being carried by her mother.  I was there for her parent's marriage, her birth and while she was growing up.  Now she's an adult and has her own children. How did she grow up so fast?  Nothing lasts forever and we feel her father's loss as if it were yesterday. So while they slept in, I took a stroll along Jolla Cove. 



                                                                                    Harbor Seal

There was life everywhere! The young Harbor Seals played in the waves along the shore like human kids do at a waterpark.  The older seals all laid together huddling up on this rather cold day.  




Black Turnstones foraged around the rocks dodging the foamy waves. 


Green-tailed Towhees vocalized in the rainy weather. 



And baby Emma got ready with her mother to go to the zoo for the day.  She is a laid back and easy going baby.  When I looked into her eyes, I saw my brother looking back at me.  Oh he would have loved her.  In his mother's house, there are pictures of him, his sister and brother as babies.  Looking at her face, I could see Sergio's likeness as I do with Samantha. They will carry his legacy.  But it doesn't change the fact that we wish he was still with us.  He was only 53 years old, not much older than I am. 


                                                                   California Towhee
We spent the weekend together before I had to flee the big flooding event in San Diego and mountain regions. This past summer, I asked my Mexican mom for her green salsa recipe. When I make it, it transports me to every time period where we are all together celebrating....whatever.





I had one more day. They are late risers and for a birder, it's a gift because the best birding is in the morning. So I didn't mind that they slept in. 



                                                                        California Sea Lion

On the second day, the waters were less choppy.  But another bigger storm was on the way. This time I strolled along the rocky shore instead of the pathway to see if I could find rare sea birds pushed into the coastline by the coming storm.  And I did!  Apparently others had the same thing in mind. 



Others sat and watched nature unfold as it did.  I spied Black-vented Shearwaters, Surf Scoters, a Pomarine Jaeger and Brown Booby from shore as these birds spied a massive school of fish zipping around behind the waves. It was amazing to watch the coastal birds see all this happening along the shore.  The birds feeding out in the ocean must have been about 2 miles away!  The gulls, pelicans and cormorants all streamed out in one large line from the bay towards the action and began feeding with the other birds. Even with the large waves bashing about the shoreline, their eye sight is incredible!



Back in the cove, a Harbor Seal played in the sea foam. 


Western Gulls waited for the tourists to arrive at the park. 




Hundreds of California Brown Pelicans scoured the shoreline for fish. 



California Sea Lions hung out on the rocks near the turbulent waters. 



A Snowy Egret antagonized a nesting Brandt's Cormorant. 



 And Tío Chris hung out with his extended family from Mexico.  Tío Chris has also decided to dye his hair and beard:)  I'm older but not that old!




There is no love greater than that shared between family and friends.  I am truly one lucky guy to be a part of their lives. Until next time.









Comments

Popular Posts