A Plan Begins To Form

                                                                          Rusty Blackbird

In January, a plan begins to form for many birders. 


                                                                Blue-headed Vireo in Tucson, RARE!
Organizations are contacted.  Dates are set.  The exploration of new territories finding new birds is back on the itinerary. 

                                      Townsend's Solitaires are everywhere this year in Tucson. 

I build my bird base again from zero for the 2023 year, chasing the rarities and then going after the local birds. It's a solid plan. A big January allows us to focus on the rarity chases later on in the year.  And also to not die from heat exhaustion in the summer.....and yet we still will:)


                                                                 American Robin
The studying begins on potential new life birds. Books are ordered. Audios from their recorded calls are played back to absorb and memorize for the treks ahead.  

                                                                      Lilac-crowned Parrot

The hunger to know more and discover more takes over our dreams.  What will it be like?  How will I feel each time I see a new bird?  Will I get to see them? What's the human world like around these birds? Which bird is the REAL endemic?  What birds should I focus on?


                                                            Western Screech-Owl
I keep my work up and locate birds so I won't lose my edge. 

                                                                       Gadwall
A budget is planned for the outings.  A deposit here and a deposit there. It all adds up. Meanwhile I keep it close to home and save on gas. But the bird show is kick ass in Pima County. 


                                                                     a rare Ferruginous Hawk
I practice my approaches on raptors and other skittish bird species to get the right shots.  


                                                                          Prairie Falcon
The planning gets my adrenaline going. It gives me something to look forward to.  It keeps the game fresh. 


                                                                        Crested Caracara
This year we'll explore California, Nebraska, Wisconsin, New Zealand, Australia, Maine and of course, Arizona. Well.  That's the plan. 


                                                                                  Black Vulture
So for now, it's good to reconnect with local birder friends here as we all search for our birds. Birders begin to form their plans.  Their dreams begin to form into reality. And then, we fly! Or we drive, boat, hike, bike, sit....because birding is all that and so much more. It's a way of life. 


Happy New Year!  Now let's get to work!

Comments

Popular Posts