A Much Needed Escape



Sometimes I feel like a cresting wave is ready to crash down upon me.  I often find myself exhausted from everything going on.  And I am finding myself "slowing down".  If that's what it means to turn 50 then I'll have to learn how to better balance it all.

                                                                   Ring-necked Pheasant
The places I feel most comfortable birding are the ones that are often wet, overcast and cold.  I love the gray skies of the Pacific Northwest.  For now, I've stepped back from many of my Arizona "bird duties" to focus on just being a human who wants to sleep in, spend quality time with people, not have a job, and look at birds but also do many other things. 


                                                                            Evening Grosbeak
Post covid has taught me that it's okay to want to nest and enjoy the quieter moments.  More to the point.  Reject the need for an early rise chase to sit outside in my garden and take it all in. Maybe sit around in my pj's all morning. 


Work is necessary.  I love my work but it does not control my life.  Instead, I've found a way to weave it into my travels so that it can all function together.  I took a week off before our final exams at school to hang out with Khanh and do some scouting.  My favorite part of the trip is often sitting with coffee in his backyard or drive 45 minutes away from his house to bird in the wet Pacific rainforest. 


                                                                      Wood Duckling
I sat in the chair regaining my strength that had been zapped by the 100 degree temps in Tucson. There I spied Golden-crowned Sparrows and nesting Bushtits. Robert came home and pulled a chair next to me where we both spent time chatting outside and watching birds collect nesting material that feed from Robert and Khanh's amazing backyard.  



                                                                    Golden-crowned Sparrow

After Khanh came home from work, we went to study some of the higher elevation birds in the beautiful mountains near their home.  We studied Sooty Grouse and other mountain birds.   This is the time of year when most grouse are actively displaying and making their unique sounds. 



Khanh loves his owls and grouse.  And I love grouse, sparrows, alcids, parrots and gulls. Not to mention manakins, trogons, quetzals and ....well you get the idea:)  We searched for his owls in the ever present rain.  In fact, wherever I go, whether it's in Maine, Wales, or the Pacific Northwest, it has been said by many that I bring the "crazy" or "bad" weather to their areas.  I argue that there's nothing bad or crazy about blizzards or rain events.  And I also maintain that it makes birding a lot of fun. Imagine living in the desert 24/7 with full sun.  So yes, I secretly call upon my bird gods to bring the rain and snow. And they answer me with a moody and atmospheric response!


                                                                    Northern Pygmy-Owl
I spent time in the gardens.  I spent time walking the neighborhood.  I spent time getting to know Beaverton.....not my favorite place but the McDonald's has cute water fountains that Brewer's Blackbirds like to drink from!



                                                                     California Quail 
Robert told me this year that April was one of the wettest months for the record books!  That's great!  Snow pack was deep and made certain areas "off limits" to go birding.  And during our treks, there were times when we had to drive through some thick snow.  



Portland is a lovely place to bird.  It is here you have two species of chickadees that you have to ID carefully.  The Black-capped and Chestnut-backed Chickadees can both be found around cities, parks and gardens.  And any chance I get to see a Chestnut-backed Chickadee is a plus!


                                                                   Chestnut-backed Chickadee
While the guys were cold and had to put the heat on, this desert rat slept with his window open.  54 isn't cold:)  That's perfect sleeping weather.  Every morning, I woke up to the insistent and urgent tunes of the Song Sparrow, seen below. 



                                                                               Song Sparrow
I watched California Scrub-Jays collect nesting material.  And I did this all from sitting in their backyard with my cup of coffee. When I finish with my work teaching, I plan on putting together a local birdwatching morning club where we go have coffee at friend's homes and watch their birds while catching up with each other.  Right now Saturday mornings are meant for sleeping in. 



                                                                   California Scrub-Jay
A curious American Crow flew into their big pine tree to see what I was doing.  And perhaps to see if I had dropped any food. 


                                                                   American Crow
Right now in Portland, people's yards are beautiful pinks and reds and blues.  There are completely pink trees lining the streets.  It was hard to focus on the driving because my eyes were drawn to all the colors. 




This is hard to believe but it took me 5 months(!) to observe Wood Ducks on that year list!  But their sightings made up for their long absence.  I went to visit the Crystal Springs Rhododendron Gardens and there were MANY MANY Wood Ducks.  



They are such beautiful birds. 



 I have felt rundown and tired this year.  My body is going through a change and I freely admit without shame that I am getting older.  And it's okay.



My birding is more balanced to accommodate travel and the enjoyment of all things.  It's not the singular focus anymore.  This trek was a much needed break from school.  I am grateful to have spent some quality time with Robert and Khanh on this outing.  Over the next several weeks, we'll explore coastal Oregon and visit more grouse and owls in Washington and Oregon. I have a mix of audio and video recordings from our grouse adventures. There's a post on "Blue Grouse" coming up next week.  Until next time friends.....


Comments

Popular Posts