Wild Urban Pockets





local parks are a great way to find amazing birds....and they're almost always free!

When I visit a new place, it's always interesting to see what wildlife likes to call that space home. In this 2 part series, we'll explore some tactics I use to maximize urban birding nearby.  

Spot-breasted Oriole
As I've gotten older, I have lost the desire to drive hours to see one bird, unless of course it's a place where I can spend a night or two.  Such was the case with our trek to the Vermillion Cliffs near Marble Canyon for the California Condors. If birding is truly about the birds; then it doesn't matter if you add on a new lifer or not.  Don't get me wrong, it's nice to find a lifebird but that's not what it's all about anymore.  So find a place and work around it!  It's a lot of fun and it's a much more quality experience!


Red-whiskered Bulbul
I have enjoyed the careful study of individual species.  Sometimes, we get lost in that crazy birder mentality to chase chase chase. So make a list of "hope-to-see" and "BVD(better views desired)" birds. We forget that it was birds that made us first stop and look at them. Once we started, we got to play in our own backyards for months or a few years looking for new birds. Then the game got trickier and we had to leave our nests. But it's not only about numbers and life bird ticks.  It's about connecting with nature.  And friends.  I have been lucky to meet people like myself by hosting other birders in Tucson.  It's a fun way to meet new people who are relaxed and want to see something new in new habitats.  And learn. Again, I am grateful to Homer who helped navigate me into several neighborhoods/urban parks where some of these rarish birds for the US breed.  


                                      White-crowned Pigeon, a common Caribbean bird; a rare US resident

On a lovely afternoon, we explored some of the urban pockets hidden between homes.  Sometimes these "parks" had a little tiny trail off a road that gave the impression it was off limits to the public. Sometimes these several block green spaces looked like what Miami would have looked like a hundred years ago, but with a park next to it, surrounded by homes. 

                                                       Red-masked Parakeet, a breeding vagrant!
And in those old woodsy overgrown tropical spaces, we'd find roosting parrots and parakeets. One of my favorite studies to do while visiting areas around the US is to study the vagrant non-native flocks of breeding parrots and parakeets.  I don't know what is ABA(American Bird Association) countable or not.   I DO know that if these birds breed, they are countable in my book.  If the bird breeds and is in good numbers around the area, I will count them like the Monk Parakeets of Queen Creek or the Rosy-faced Lovebirds in Phoenix. 



If we looked at the "legit" birds that are definitely on the ABA list, Spot-breasted Oriole and White-crowned Pigeon are fine as they are in their northern most range. When I guide, I need to know what is ABA countable for those who follow that rule book in our lovely state of Arizona.  In other states, it gets a little foggy.  So I will often ask others what studies have been done on their non-native birds. 



The Spot-breasted Oriole was the last North American Oriole I needed to complete the 9 species of Oriole found in the lower 48 and Canada.  People ask, "Which one is your favorite?"  I like them all but I am partial to Bullock's, Orchard, Scott's and Audubon's Orioles. And yet if I see any of them, I'll stop and say, "WHOAAAA." Their songs are gorgeous.  Their spurts and rattles make me smile. The Spot-breasted Orioles of Miami breed around Miami neighborhoods in pockets.  It's not a species you're guaranteed to see unless you search them out.  Our pair was found in one of those " in between" parks surrounded by homes with the Red-whiskered Bulbuls.  Homer took me to the location and we parked our car in this weird spot that didn't look like we could enter. To see our report, click here.  



Then we were off to look for the skittish White-crowned Pigeons!  I will admit.  This was ONE bird I really wanted to see.  It's gorgeous.  Both Homer and myself scoured the neighborhoods looking at telephone lines where they often like to hang out in the evening or early morning.  But like our Band-tailed Pigeons when they see someone, they zip away quickly!  The neighborhood watched us and came outside to see what we were doing.  They were either on the phone talking to someone or pretending to talk to someone.  People in Miami were suspicious.  Why were we looking into their backyards?  With a smile and a bit of Spanish conversation, we let them know we were innocent people.  So be aware that if you do look for this species in Miami, you'll be getting into some neighborhood fun:)  Click here for our report. 
 


Staying close to your few birding targets instead of chasing all the needed birds across a huge area for your life lists allows you to absorb better the local birding scene better.  It also reduces your time in the car and gives you better looks at birds you don't often see in your own town. And more time birding! I had the opportunity to chase the Red-cockaded Woodpecker but I didn't want to spend all that time on the road.  So it'll be another trek down the road.  There are so many amazing birding hotspots in Miami.  If you can avoid the crazy traffic, which at times was bad, you will save yourself the headaches of being on the road for hours.  Homer and myself stayed close to his place and we had fun observing so many fantastic birds. And iguanas:)



With gas prices they way they are, it's best to rent a compact car if you can.  I did most of my weeklong exploring on one tank! Filling it up was 37 bucks.   When I went back to the airport, I still had 2 gallons to spare. To be fair, Homer drove a couple times to some local hotspots but I think the Miami route was completely doable on one tank of gas during the week if you can set an itinerary.  On our next trek, we explore a zoo and botanical gardens for warblers and other fun birds. Then our last jaunt is a visit to 2 amazing wetlands!!! Until next time....

Comments

Popular Posts