An Autumn Snap

                           Bald Eagles have made a healthy recovery back in the Lakeshore area 
 
In a blink-or-you'll-miss-it weekend, I headed back to Wisconsin for my parent's 50th anniversary. 

 Locals are once again allowing our native milkweed to grow back(instead of cutting it down) and it is helping the Monarch population increase along the Lakeshore. Thanks to educational programs provided by places like Woodland Dunes Nature Center, people are learning how to improve their yards for native wildlife. For years, tracts of land were razed to the ground for construction and agriculture that had been covered with milkweed. The numbers are a fraction of what they used to be growing up but their numbers are slowly increasing again. 

I could feel the autumn snap in the air.  It was absolutely beautiful.  There are times when I fall in love with my hometown.  It's such a beautiful area. It's a bittersweet feeling.  Anyone who has moved away from their hometown understands the complex feelings of leaving their family/friends and comfort base behind. But I never belonged there.  I was always a visitor looking at people from the outside. There was never any connection to the culture or people. And yet it's where I was born; the place I carry with me in my heart everywhere I go. 




During the beginnings of autumn, a person can smell the changes in the air.  It smells wonderful.  Monarchs gather and set their sights south.  And the air carries an electric vibe.  During the mornings, before all the party planning, I'd go for my walks with family, friends or alone. 


    While my parents celebrated their anniversary ceremony at church, I met up with my other family for lunch and lovely visit. 

Things are slow to change but they are changing.  A lot of nature centers around town have improved their spaces and that was exciting to see. 


                            Woodland Dunes Nature Center has grown in popularity and it shows!
The party planning was fun and it was good to see the family after 2 years away. 


Everything was such a whirlwind. However, we got it all done.  Now that we're here with October, I'm breathing a breath of fresh air. Their anniversary party was a lot of fun.  We saw a lot of people we hadn't seen for years. 


   I see the beginning, the now and the end here.  The passage of time has no meaning on this causeway.

There are 3 places I love to bird while I'm home.  One is the lighthouse in Manitowoc.  There is excellent habitat along the Lakeshore here for migrant birds and of course, the water ones:) Plus I love being on the water. 

 These two cuties waited for me each morning to come up the stairs. One wanted love.  And the other wanted to bite me:)
Another place that I love to bird is Point Beach State Forest.  There are always lots of great birds, like migrating warblers, hiding around the trees in that 5 mile stretch of forest along Lake Michigan. 


                           This caladium grows wild in the Amazon, but in WI, it's the sign of fall
And the final place that I always check out is Woodland Dunes Nature Center in Two Rivers.  It's another great spot for all kinds of marshy birds in marshy habitat.  And it's complete with a tower, boardwalk and nature center!  



I'm not sure when I'll be back again, but it was fun catching up with everyone. Autumn in the Lakeshore area is not to be missed.  Right now, it's absolutely beautiful.  September and October are great months to visit!  


Happy 50th Anniversary to my Mom and Dad!  Love you both and hope you had a fun night. 

 

Over the next few weeks, we'll be visiting California, Oregon and Washington States.  Until next time....


Comments

Popular Posts