Staying Sharp


The year began with some easy and interesting challenges.  Finding new species to add to the life list wasn't going to happen for some time.  So instead, while I'm waiting for those treks, I occasionally chase state or county birds when I have the time.  I've missed a few this year but I know they will be back in the future.  So far, I've been happy with the 4 new additions to the state list.  


In between the chases, I enjoy evening walks or day treks with friends.  One evening, I watched a Common Gallinule at Sweetwater Wetlands right before the sun set. They are thoughtful meanderings where I can absorb interactions between birds, study local species and their vocalizations.  I will admit that I have been a little lazy with the camera.  All of these birds have been photographed a million times.  Why do I need another pic of one?  It's great.  It's fun just wearing the birder cap. My first covid trek took me up to the northern part of the state to search for the rare American Tree Sparrow. This is a really good bird for the state. 


I remember it being VERY cold and windy.  I think it would have been tricky to find the bird if I hadn't recognized the chip note the bird was giving off.  Then I saw a flash of rufousy coloring that got my attention.  The bird stayed inside the branches of the bushes.  I took a pic with the camera and let it be. I didn't stay long because I was not dressed appropriately.  It's warm in Tucson and NOT in Yavapai county:) Chase level? Moderate to high due to lack of knowledge of trail.


A month later in Willcox, a Common Grackle showed up.  This is a rare bird but not an uncommon visitor.  The simple fact is that I hadn't been in the mood to chase this species over the years.  This year, I had wanted to visit with Max, the homeowner who reported the bird and catch up with him.  While I was down there, I did some birding and saw the bird easily.  Interestingly enough, I'd see another Common Grackle in Oro Valley at my school site during my daily walk on the baseball field. Again, it's not the greatest shot.  Just documentation for a state lifer.  It was just a fun evening drive and chat with Max after their vaccinations. Chase level?  Easy. 


Then between lovely cooler temps and random rain storms, we just had fun finding new year birds in various habitats.  Cheroot wasn't having any of the rain though:)


Migration began to happen and it was fun finding more first of the year birds moving through the state. Swainson's Hawks (below) began moving up through the Tucson area. 



Then the armada of White-winged Doves showed up in my yard. I knew summer had arrived. 


With water being a limited resource this year, ocean birds flying over had very little choice but to stop at some of the few puddles to rest and charge up.  Another bird that I have put off just due to driving exhaustion was the Brant.  One showed up in a VERY random and nasty area in Phoenix.  It stayed for about a week which is usually not the case in Arizona.  They will stay for one day and zip off into the night sky on the same day.  This one enjoyed a homeless encampment.  The area is indeed sketchy but I needed to see the bird for the state.  So I proceeded with caution keeping my eyes out for trouble. 


I wasn't crazy about going up to Phoenix where it's always hot.  And it was in a very urban area.  However, the location is a beautiful birding area. Unfortunately the crime and homelessness in the area makes it not too safe to bird.  In fact, a birder almost lost their car to some thieves.  Had others not seen the crime in progress, they very well may have had their catalytic converter stolen.  I was alone on this day and thankfully I had some previous knowledge of the trails.  


I found the quiet little hidden pond and enjoyed watching the Brant feed alone.  It was really beautiful.  However, I didn't feel comfortable leaving my car in the parking lot a mile away.  I took my documentation pic and left thinking about how sad it was that this premiere birding spot was marred with a criminal element.  Rating?  Moderate.  Safety element? Not very good.  


My final bird for this season was a lovely Black Skimmer.  They can be very rare for our state.  Again the location was in the same place the Ruff was seen last year, a slop pond.  


Again, this wasn't a bird I needed a great pic of. YES! Birding with binos only! I know I have to get back into the mode again for these next intense several months, but for now, I'm enjoying the binos.  I met up with Jon Mann and we saw our state Skimmer.  Very very cool. The bird is on the far left side.  I took this documentation shot with my cell phone. Difficulty?  Not difficult except for the directions.  Getting to the spot can be very tricky.  However, once you're there, it's a lot of fun to bird. 


After that, I did some fund raising with the Wrenegades, took some people out on bird walks and did several surveys in some great habitat.  My most recent survey was with Tucson Audubon last weekend.  There we had a wonderful count of Elegant Trogons in the Huachuca Mountains.  It was a gorgeous walk. The video below captures this magical moment with an Elegant Trogon. 


The month of June in Tucson tends to be quiet.  It's a great time to travel and get out of town before migration starts up again in July.  That month is a bizarre one due to monsoon rains.  You'll find Yellow-billed Cuckoos making their way up to breed at the end of June. Meanwhile, male Rufous Hummingbirds are making their way back down to the wintering grounds.  Other Mexican vagrants show up and Cassin's, Grasshopper and Botteri's Sparrows start breeding with the rains.  We're all hoping for a wonderful rain season this summer.  Last year was absolutely terrible. So June is  generally a quiet month. I say generally because um.....this species showed up last year during the month of June:)  Maybe they'll show up again this year?



Anyhow, I leave water out for the birds and critters as this is generally the driest month of the year. 


As always, birds challenge us and make us better and stronger birders.  Whether it be the elusive Green Kingfisher or Rose-throated Becard, every bird carries with it a story.  The more I get involved with this lifetime passion; the more I grow connected to the wildlife around me.  Stay tuned for some magical adventures ahead.  My first summer trek takes us to Seattle, Washington.  There are birds involved but it isn't the primary reason for the trek. Covid has changed all of us.  I will tell her story next time. 

 

Comments

  1. Wow! A new blog? When did this happen? Apparently I have not been paying attention! Nice story and photos, as always. I do hope you get a bountiful monsoon this year!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts